We visited two Gurdwara’s the first in Stockton:
The Stockton Gurdwara Sahib holds great historical significance to the Sikh community. It is the first Gurdwara Sahib that was built to serve the Sikh Sangat living in the United States . The Gurdwara Sahib came into existence in 1912 with joint efforts of Sardar Basakha Singh and Bhai Jawala Singh. A meeting was held in Holt, a town near Stockton where a committee was appointed to raise money for the construction of the Gurdwara.
It was in September of 1912 when land was purchased on South Granth Street in Stockton for the use of the Gurdwara. A small frame house that was already standing on the lot was used as the main building of the Gurdwara. This building still stands still where a library is now implemented. A Nishan Sahib was also hoisted for the first time at the Gurdwara. Baba Vasakha Singh and Baba Jawala Singh Thathian of Amritsar Sahib were appointed as the first Granthi Singh Jis of the Gurdwara.
1930 S Grant St
Stockton, CA 95206
From 99 North
Take the Mariposa Rd exit to Escalon – go 0.1 mi
Take the ramp to Stockton (CA-99-BR)/Charter Way – go 0.4 mi
Continue on E Mariposa Rd – go 1.2 mi
Turn left at CA-26 W – go 0.1 mi
Continue on E Charter Way – go 1.1 mi
Turn left at S Grant St – go 0.5 mi
From 99 South
Take the Charter Way West exit – go 0.3 mi
Continue on CA-26 – go 1.0 mi
The second was in Tracy a quaint Gurdwara with a small but growing sangat.
Address: 11770 W. Clover Road, Tracy, CA 95304